Singapore has a number of laws which are hangover the days when it was part of the British Empire. The good news this won’t stop you having a fun time.
A quick summary of some of the key issue for gay visitors:
- Gay male sex is still illegal but the law is rarely enforced. Check Wikipedia for the latest updates.
- Do NOT carry any illegal drugs in / or out of the country as the death penalty is in place and westerners have been executed for this crime despite the intervention of their own government. Check Wikipedia for details
- There are some travel restrictions for HIV+ people See HIVTravel.org
However despite these restrictions there are number of gay bars, saunas and other places where you can meet gay men – both locals and visitors. As Utopia Guide says – Singapore has a lingering PR problem… In fact, Singapore has Asia’s hottest gay scene going these days.
We will add reviews shortly but in the meantime check out the Utopia site:
- Zouk – Type: Night Club/Bar – Great music mix of progressive and techno most times. Often very organised about who’s spinning on which dates. If you are interested in meeting gay folks Zouk is best when there are guest DJs spinning, so check the schedule on their website and plan accordingly. Upscale, mixed crowd (be discreet). The fave dance club for many gays. Crowded on Fri and Sat.
- Shogun – Type: Cruise Club/Men Only – ShoGun, with more than 3,800 square feet sprawled over 4 floors, ShoGun is unique in it’s own way! That’s because ShoGun is NOT a sauna or a bathhouse IT is Singapore’s one and only cruise club!
- Backstage Bar – Type: Bar – Location: Chinatown – A cozy, gay-owned bar, nicely decorated, with a balcony for flirting with passersby. The place to be and Fri and Sat are particularly jam-packed! So if u want to get a good seat, get here early. The staff are very hospitable and drinks are reasonably priced. Well-located close to multiple clubs and gay saunas! But Backstage is so happening that you might well make your love connection here.
- General Information
- Gaytravel Net listing of Singapore Accommodation and tours.